- Basic Adult Aikido: Monday and Wednesday from 6:00 – 6:55 PM
- General Adult Aikido: Monday and Wednesday beginning at 7:00 PM and Tuesday and Thursday beginning at 6:30 PM
- Zazen Meditation: Monday from 7:50 – 8:40 PM
- Youth Aikido: Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30 – 6:25 PM
- Bell Misogi: Saturday 7:00 – 8:00 AM
- Instructor’s Class: Saturday 8:00 – 9:00 AM
- Introduction to Aikido: Saturday November 17th from 10:00 – Noon
- No class November 22nd – 24th for the Thanksgiving Holiday
- Winter Breath Training: December 3rd – 7th every morning 5:30AM to 6:15AM.
- Promotional Demonstrations: Friday December 14th, 5:30 – when we’re done (and a “snack-luck” to follow)
- Annual Dojo clean up event: All are encouraged to participate… Saturday December 15th 9:00 – when we’re finished
- Winter Break: December 15th – 31st
- New Year’s Water Misogi: January 1st… Meet at the Dojo at 7:00AM
- First class of 2019: January 2nd
For several years, Aikido Olympia held what we called an Aikido Lab on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. These labs weren’t really intended to be classes but rather an opportunity to practice arts that were taught the previous evening. These classes were often conducted in randori-style where one person would work with multiple uke “in the round”, quickly moving from partner to partner. This approach had several benefits. First, students had an opportunity to review techniques taught the night before. Second, everyone involved had an opportunity to practice the techniques on a variety of partners and could explore how the same technique might change depending on how an uke’s body worked. Third, the multiple uke approach provides an opportunity for further refining one’s 360 degree vision and awareness.
As Tuesday and Thursday evening classes often have smaller attendance than other days, we intend to do more of the Aikido Lab type classes on those days. If you’re interested in working on these types of things, please join us!
By Nate Weed
Coming in 2018, we are implementing some changes to our weekly class schedule:
Some of you may recall filling out a survey where you were asked about your preferences for class times. The dojo leadership used that information to create a new schedule for 2018 that should benefit both students and the instructors.
Changed: Youth classes to Tuesday/Thursday beginning at 5:30 instead of 5:00
Added: Adult general class on Tuesday/Thursday following youth class. Class begins at 6:30.
Removed: Classes at 5:30 AM on Tuesday/Thursday and no regularly scheduled classes on Friday.
We will begin this new schedule on January 3rd, 2018.